onsdag 21. mars 2012

”Touching the clouds”

It is Saturday. March. 17.

Hot. A smell of thermals. A fragrance of herbs touches my face. I watch the movements in the trees and bamboo stalks down below. A thermal is rising.

I turn my head. A slight pull at the A-risers makes the glider rise. A few steps backwards following the glider on its way up. Controlling the wing. Turning. Leaning forward. Running to pick up speed. Arms pointing backwards and slightly down.

Up! Up! Airborne! It feels good. The wind, my friend, kisses my face. In spite of it is 35 degrees the touch is cool. Foregiving. I turn right. Wat Khao Sadao down below.

There it is! The THERMAL! It hits the glider from below. The crisp fabric of the wing makes a rustling sound. Leaning to the left, pulling the left brake handle, I try to centre the thermal. Find the best lift. 3 meter a second. 5 meter a second. And more. The vario is screaming. The thermal is not very wide in the beginning. Lots of noise from the glider, especially the wing tips.

Two pilots have just left heading north. Cannot see them in the haze. The clouds are growing extremely fast. The sun is disappearing. I am drifting towards the first turnpoint, Dan Khun Thot, when I understand I was too late. No sun in the fields in the direction I want to fly.

Very soon I am grounded.

Ingen kommentarer: