søndag 4. september 2011

”Impressions from Norway 6: Touching cloud base. A fragrance of flowers.”



A nice, sunny day at Bismo. The gliders are lying in the sun. Waiting for take off. We only need some more wind to be sure to climb up where we belong. Right under the clouds which are growing in the sky.

My mind is free when I choose to launch. What do I do? Where do I go? I don’t know. I am struggling for a while finding a good thermal. Suddenly the lift is there. Not too much in the beginning. Finding the core of the thermal my glider lifts me up several meters a second. The panorama view is astounding. Snowcapped mountains everywhere on one side. On the other side wide valleys.

What do I do now? Landing in the valley at Bismo is no option now. Vågå is my first goal. Do I choose Finndalen? Or do I go straight to Vågå on the left side of the river Otta? I am not sure. Reaching cloud base at about 2.500 meters asl I see some paragliders pretty low in Finndalen. It looks like they have to land far away from roads. I fly together with another pilot. When he crosses Finndalen I see there is sink, sink. No, I feel happy in cloud base so I decide to follow the ridge to Vågå. Pressing the speed bar fully, still I move upwards. The clouds are not too massive. When touching cloud base I go straight on. My GPS shows me the direction. Leaving the cloud there is sink till I reach the next cloud. Same procedure once again.

Far away I can see Vågå. Then suddenly there is only sink. Down the drain 3 meters a second- From 2.500 meters I go straight down. I cannot cross the Otta river. I make ready to land up in the mountains above the treeline, but I do not sink that much now and manage to find a sloping field of grass some five hundred meters further down close to a small local road.

Not an ideal landing place but I come down safe and sound. Up on the road there is the sweet fragrance from thistles and other flowers. After all not a bad place to land. I get a lift to the air sports center at Sørem.

Ingen kommentarer: