torsdag 23. april 2020

17. EVERYTHING IS WHAT IT WILL BE


I like magic! Early next morning I was dreaming. That is I believed I was dreaming. As on the previous days, some early morning birds were chirping so I am not sure. When I turned around in bed, the small box was there once again. Nothing rattled inside. I opened the box. There were some sheets of paper. I wanted to read chapter 17.

17.  EVERYTHING IS WHAT IT WILL BE
The farmer had dirty rubber boots on. Ask the farmer. John heard the echo of the time traveller’s voice. Ask about what? It is a nice morning today? Or what? The year was 2084. At least that was what John and Jill believed.
-          Hallo, the farmer said, looking askance and maybe a bit suspiciously on the two strangers.
-          What are you two doing around here?
-          What we are doing? In fact, we were going to ask you the same question. We have no idea. We just happened to be here watching the sun setting.
-          Then follow me. That is if you want. It is time for something to eat. I live not too far from here.
The air was humid and warm. The day had been hot. The sound of the cicadas in the trees was deafening. A small house appeared. Palm leaves thatched the roof. There was a small fire burning. Greyish smoke drifted into the trees around.
-          You wanted to ask some questions?
-          Yes, Jill said.
-          No need asking. Everything is what it will be.
-          What do you mean?
The farmer went inside his house, came out holding an immense looking glass.
-          There was an upheaval in the world about 60 years ago. I was not born at that time. When my mother died, she gave me this looking glass. I make a living from what I grow. Nobody interferes. The powers that were, are not. Whenever I want to relive moments from the past, the now, or the future, I sit down by the fire. I take the looking glass, hold it in front of my eyes and have a good time. That is what is important, having a good time. You can try for yourself.
He gave the looking glass to Jill.
-          I see a river, Jill said.
-          That is the river of life. Water is the origin of life. No water, no life.
-          The water is clear. I see fish down there. Many. The current makes plants undulate. It is nice. It is magic!
-          Magic it certainly is. A river is not only a river.
-          I see a damselfly slowly leaving its pupae. It is blue, and its wings are deep blue. It is spreading its wings and flying, slowly, slowly. Now it settles down on a branch. From that branch, green leaves are sprouting. One by one, they are opening. Flowers are everywhere. Their colours are amazing. There I see someone fishing. Could have been me.
-          It is you, the farmer said.
-          I see the bait, a fat, brown worm. Yes, it is I! Incredible. Exciting. The fish, they are nibbling at the worm. This is more real than reality.
-          Enjoy the moment! This moment will never come back.
-          A dandelion is opening. What a wonderful yellow basket. Insects are waiting for a free meal of pollen and nectar.
-          Nothing is free, the farmer said. – The insects help the dandelion growing seeds. Nature gives and takes.
-          What happened back then, 60 years ago, John asked.
-          Who knows? I heard stories from my late mother. She gave me this looking glass if I would like to learn more. However, I gave up looking. Everything I saw was a complete shamble. What I understood was that fear, pure naked fear, ruled the world. Real devastating fear. This state of fear lasted for a long time. Political systems were uprooted. It was the end of order, and the beginning of a chaos, which nobody knew when was to end. I did not wish to watch more. Now I am satisfied living as I do. In harmony with nature and myself. At least that is what I think I do. You can have the looking glass if you want?
Jill looked at John.
-          Do we want? Remember Stalin’s dagger! The curse! Do we really want to see what we cannot see?
John’s face had an expression as if he could not decide how to answer.
-          Do not worry, the farmer said. – Everything is what it will be.
End of chapter 17. To be continued in chapter 18.




Ingen kommentarer: